Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:56:45 -0500
Larry Winer wrote:

> While you can compare the salaries of professors- the revenue sport coaches-
> football & mens basketball will always be paid more and have more pressure to
> deal with- look at the # of assistants that basketball has compared to
> hockey. the marketplace also dictates higher salaries.

Football isn't a revenue sport.  I don't know how many times I have to
go into this.  Football coaches can not justify their salaries based on
the money they make for their school.

> One more note for the football bashers- besides the pure $ of football- no
> sport has the visibility of football and affects alumni donations more.

Another big lie.  Every study that has been done has shown that the
relationship between winning football and alumni donations is inverse,
at least for the university in general.  Portland State cancels football
and the university gets more dollars from alumni.  It's not the only
case.  In other cases, there is no pattern between winning records and
donations.  Talking with the alumni, many say that winning football
decreases their view of a school's academic seriousness.  Let's see, add
in the donations and football programs still can't make money while
decreasing the donations to the school at large.  Doesn't seem to me
like it's a good deal.

J. Michael Neal