From:
Donovan D Verrill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donovan D Verrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:01:57 -0600
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Jason W. Roy wrote:

> When does this get announced?.......I think its a given that Blais will
> win it.....

From a UMaine alum (obvious bias here :-)  )...I can't help but think
that if Walsh had missed the first half of the season for any other reason
than the one he did, he would have to be in heavy consideration for coach of
the year in HE.  What he's done is nothing short of incredible.  I'm
also glad to hear Alfond was rockin' like it used to in the old days
(1985-1990).  BTW, what "criteria" are used to decide coach of the year?

While the HE coach of the year may not be a shoe-in for anybody, I don't
think anybody can argue against Blais for WCHA coach of the year.  The
team has had few "flouindering" episodes, and has consistently stepped up
when it needed to.  When Gasparini was here, I always thought the team
had more talent than it's record indicated.  Blais has brought out the
absolute best in the talent his players have.

> In the pre-seeason coaches poll where was UND picked?...Who would of

I believe UND was picked to finish 5th this year.

> .....How is North Dakota's goaltending situation ?....I remember some
> concern over it earlier in the year.....

Blais finally gave freshman Aaron Schweitzer a chance to play....and play
he has!  he's 10-1 this year, with around a 2.00 GAA and around a .910
save %.  He's really stepped up and been so much fun to watch.  I can
only imagine what UND's record would be right now had he been playing all
year...Schweitzer now leads the WCHA in GAA and save %.

Donovan Verrill                                 [log in to unmask]