From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:44:54 -0500
Hi -

  I don't usually pay too close attention to box scores involving teams
other than my beloved UNH Wildcats, but three boxes caught my eye this
weekend.  John Edwards posted several weeks back some interesting stats
re: the percentage of games decided in the short (5 min) regular season
OTs, so I always make it a point to check out the boxes of games decided
in overtime.  Imagine my delight/surprise to learn that Wisconsin scored
its game winner vs. UAA at 4:58 of OT, just two ticks before an official
tie would have been recorded.  And if that wasn't amazing enough, WMU
scored its game winner vs. MSU at 4:59 of OT, at which point the electrons
on their way to light the green lamp must have already been underway :-)
Casey Kesselring's goal for Merrimack to beat Maine at 4:31 of OT hardly
qualifies as a heart-breaker by comparison <grin> .... But two games
decided with only 3 seconds *total* remaining - wow !!  Two "whisker wins"
for the home teams, although it seems that the Spartans did not take well
to losing in such a fashion; I see that *9*, yes NINE game DQs were handed
out (6 MSU, 3 WMU) in the wake of that game (I expect that the CCHA League
office/commissioner will want to have a look at the tape :-)  Can you tell
it's getting close to crunch time in College Hockey Land !!

  Cheers from Solomons - Jim
  GO BLUE !!!