From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:26:02 -0500
Joe Lacour writes:
>> Yes, but the Clarkson team did not participate in the NCAA
>> that year because they had players in their 4th year of
>> eligibility and voted not to play the tournament if those
>> players could not play.  Cornell (gag!) remains the only Div 1
>> club to go undefeated all the way.

And ironically enough, Cornell had a player disqualified before the NCAA
tournament that year (1970), forward and team captain Dick Bertrand, on the
grounds that he was too old or some such (he was 28, I think).  But the Big Red
played anyway.

Jeff Anbinder responds:
>I'm not positive, but I think another team has won the championship
>undefeated but with a few ties in their record.  Cornell had the
>distinction of winning the championship with only victories.

Not at the Div. I level.  Alabama-Huntsville won the Div. II championship last
year with an undefeated mark of 26-0-3.  I think Bemidji may have been unbeaten
when they won a Div. III championship in the '80s as well.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"So what's Cornell's strategy now -- go to the net?"
-- Grady Whittenberg, Cornell (WQNY) play-by-play announcer, following the
   clean-up efforts after Providence goalie Dan Dennis got sick on the ice
   during the first round of the Syracuse Invitational