From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:24:45 -0900
During the Nanook win Friday night over Michigan State Cody Bowtell
scored on a penalty shot.  The USA Today CCHA page reported it was the
first successful penalty shot in the CCHA in nearly three years.
Goalies had apparently stopped eight straight attempts since then.  That
seems pretty amazing to me.  Guess that penalty shot competition in the
Alaska Fairbanks Blue-Gold game before the season paid off for Cody.

Since I was listening to the game from Fairbanks, I only know he was
pulled down on a shorthanded breakaway attempt.  Over the years I've
seen plenty of breakaway attempts foiled where the player was hooked,
mugged, or otherwise hauled down with a penalty called but never seen a
penalty shot granted.

Just what exactly does it take for the referee to actually grant one?  I
thought I heard that the option was granted in this case to take a minor
penalty on the opposing team or a penalty shot.  Is that right?  Most
power plays aren't much more successful than 20% or so.  What is the
likely percentage of successful penalty shot attempts?  Anyone have any
idea?  I was pretty surprised to read that CCHA goalies had stopped 8 in
a row.  That means only 20% of the last 10 have been successful as
well.  So given a choice which one would you choose?

Listen to the penalty shot that rocked the Spartans Friday night at

http://www2.polarnet.com/~jcarlson/uafhockey/audio/h9611086.ra

Just bring your Real Audio player with you!

Eric Carlson

UAF Hockey Web Site
http://www2.polarnet.com/~jcarlson/uafhockey/index.html