From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:43:00 -0400
At 12:11 AM -0400 8/24/96, Deron Treadwell wrote:
> On 23 Aug 96 at 23:03, Adam Wodon wrote:
> I didn't find the teleconference answer to be that satisfying to me,
> perhaps others think otherwise.  All I was saying is what Sue Tyler
> told me and that was the NCAA is not allowing Maine in the HEA
> tournament, that having to do with the exemptions that Adam explained
> very well.

All I have to go on here is what Sue has said and what is in the Aug 19
NCAA News - where it says that Maine is prohibited "from participating in
postseason competition."  I would have read that to mean NCAA tournament
games if not for what Sue has said.

> I'm sure more will be available on this in coming days but certainly
> the UMaine athletic department isn't planning on going to the HEA's.
> I think there is something to be said for that, especially since
> hockey exemptions are apparently part of the sanctions (or are they
> standard for hockey prohibition?) and they were not discussed at all
> during the teleconference.

That was only my speculation.  Remember that exemptions encompass much more
than just postseason conference play.  You get exemptions for playing in
Alaska, for hosting a foreign team, etc.  There doesn't seem to be an
effect on Maine's use of an exemption to play Dalhousie in the JC Penney
Classic.  I was just suggesting that in effect, Maine won't be able to use
the exemption for postseason HE tourney games.  I haven't seen anything
official which says that a limit on exemptions is part of the sanctions.

> > It's possible that HEA has already decided but didn't make any
> > official announcement.
>
> I doubt this has happened.  First, Tyler told me that they knew this
> as soon as the penalties were announced, so her frame of reference is
> from the NCAA's ruling, and second with Mike so close to Hockey East
> if they made an announcement or even a statement he would have more
> then definately reported it.

Not necessarily.  For one thing, I have not talked to Tim or Bob lately, so
I am out of the loop there.  Also, it is quite possible that a decision has
been made on how to handle the situation but that it has not been
announced, as Adam said.  This could be because, as I suggested to Deron
and Adam, HE is simply going to abide by the NCAA decision.  If the ban
does indeed include the HE tourney as Sue has apparently said, then it
seems clear that one of two things will happen:

1) Maine will lose its appeal and not play in the HE tourney;
2) Maine will win its appeal and be eligible for NCAA competition, and they
will thus get to play in the HE tourney.

Either way, I don't think HE has to do much in this matter.  On the other
hand, Adam did say:

> >I re-listened carefully to the teleconference from the NCAA, and
> >David Swank of the committee on infractions specfically said that the
> >Conference tournament ban was up to the individual conference because
> >those games are considered, in effect, part of the regular-season.

So basically, who knows. :-)  It does sound as if there is an unresolved
conflict between what Sue Tyler and David Swank have said.  I don't know
any more than that.  Until that question is answered, we're just blowing a
lot of smoke.

I also want to address something Deron said in another message:

>Finally, if Maine does win their appeal I also think Hockey East will
>have a hard time keeping Maine out of their tournament.

I don't think this was Deron's intent, but I can see where some people may
read into this that HE is planning to keep Maine out of the HE tourney even
if they do win their appeal.  To set the record straight, I have no reason
to believe that this will happen or that it is planned.  I fully expect
that HE will go along with the NCAA decision on Maine's appeal and allow
Maine to play if they do win the appeal and the postseason ineligibility
sanction is lifted.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93