From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 18:57:22 -0400
At 11:50 AM -0700 7/30/96, Tony Buffa wrote:
> Pardon the late response, but my question is will the College Hockey Game
> of the Week now be EXCLUSIVELY CCHA games?

Jeff's release doesn't say anything about the other games, so we'll have to
wait for the actual game listing to see what other games might be involved.
As you say, there have been games from other conferences included in the
past.

> But it sure
> would be nice for it to be a true College game of the week as opposed to a
> CCHA game of the week.

I'd like to see an agreement that allows more teams to be shown, too.  But
it's probably important to understand the history behind the CHGotW.
Originally there was no such thing, and CCHA games were on PASS.  That
agreement ended and in its place, the agreement with Prime was worked out,
with the CCHA being a focus since the Prime agreement effectively replaced
the one the CCHA had with PASS.

The plus is that the CCHA still gets to have a tv contract.  One minus is
that the contract does focus on the CCHA more than the other leagues.  On
the other hand, even the few national games that the other conferences get
are more than they had before the Prime contract came about.  And another
plus is that at least college hockey gets some national coverage.

If I remember correctly, the contract is negotiated by CCHA Commissioner
Bill Beagan, so the CCHA gets the major say in which games are shown.  That
has bothered some people including myself in the past, but it's also
important to realize that the alternative probably would be *no* national
tv games at all.  I'm sure the other conferences are free to try to
negotiate a deal that would result in their teams being aired more, but
they have either been unwilling or unable to do so - probably more the
latter.

> Also, any one with any info on the existence of the Freezout at the GW
> Forum in LA?

I'm not sure, but I think it may be no more.  An old HE composite had
Providence playing in it on 12/13-14.  But a more recent PC schedule
doesn't show it, and all of PC's NC games are accounted for (including
another game that weekend).  I also have not seen it on anyone else's
schedule, and by now I have probably seen about three quarters or more of
all of the DivI schedules.  So I am assuming it will not take place this
season.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93