From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:34:26 -0400
At 06:18 PM 6/3/96 -0400, Nathan Boyle wrote:
>I have my own thoughts on the subject, but I was wondering what the list
>thinks the move of the NHL into the south and south-west will have on the
>development of college hockey in those regions?  Not that I expect
>anything but club and lower division teams for the next ten years, but
>could this be the kind of jolt needed to awake interest in the sport down
>and around there?
>
>Nathan W.L. Boyle
>BGSU

In my mind, it is not the existance of NHL teams in the south and southwest
that's important, but the success of those teams that will jolt college
hockey.  There is a reason that college hockey won't become very popular,
though.  In football and basketball, the college level feeds players
directly to the professional level.  99% of pro b-ball and football players
come out of college, and immediately play at the major league level.  In
hockey, not only do you have the Canadien jr. leagues, but there is also an
NHL minor league system.  That is why I think college hockey, while it will
become more popular, will never become as popular as college b-ball and
football.  Which I think is a good thing.  :-)             -Josh