From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 08:56:00 EDT
Nathan Boyle writes...
>The tourney concept proved to unworkable, and instead BG will play two
>additional games against Ohio State twice, and will have a single game
>against Colgate at the BGSU Ice Arena.

Two additional games twice?  I hope this doesn't mean that
BGSU is playing OSU in *four* non-conference games.  It's
sad to see CCHA teams having to schedule one another to
fill their NC schedule, period, but I'm sure that BGSU-OSU will
not be the only example of this by the time the schedules are
set.

And, as Chris Morgan mentioned, playing two NC games
(1-1-0) versus the Buckeyes didn't help BGSU's cause in
1994-95.  If I recall correctly, it wasn't the loss that hurt the
Falcons, it was simply the games.  Change the loss to a win
and BGSU still wouldn't have gone to the NCAA tourney.
Remove the two games from the schedule and they would
have.  Of course, hindsight is 20-20 (often 20-10) and this
wasn't the only factor keeping BGSU out that year.

Fwiw...at last look, Michigan still has three available games
on their schedule.  It would be nice to identify a pair of teams
from the ECAC-HEA that are playing a single NC game and
see if they'd be willing to give up that game in favor of each
playing UM (insert any CCHA team for that matter).  This
wouldn't change the number of games played for either the
ECAC or HEA team, but would add two for the CCHA team.  Of
course, *where* to play (RE: $$$$) is probably a big issue.
If I'm RPI, I probably have no incentive to give up a home game
versus Merrimack to travel to Ann Arbor for a single contest.
Likewise, I assume it makes more financial sense for Michigan
to play a couple of NC games versus CCHA teams (possibly
at home) rather than travel to RPI and Merrimack.  Oh well.
I'm just looking forward to the schedule being completed.

John H ([log in to unmask])