From:
"James T. Holden" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James T. Holden
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:12:25 +0400
Saw the post about the rumored WCHA/CCHA merger.  As a Michigan Tech fan,
I like the proposal to name a division after John MacInnes.

The proposed divisions, though, don't seem to make much travel sense,
especially from Tech's perspective.  Big Rapids and Kalamazoo are both
ten hour bus rides from Houghton;  playing twice down there, each and
every year, would be a bit much.  The same holds true for Michigan and
Michigan State, although historically Tech has flown to those schools.

I suggest a better split would be the following:

Western Conference
        Alaska-Anchorage
        Alaska-Fairbanks
        Nebraska-Omaha
        Mankato State
        Colorado College
        Denver
        North Dakota

Central Conference (MacInnes!)
        Michigan Tech
        Northern Michigan
        Lake Superior State
        Minnesota
        Minnesota-Duluth
        Wisconsin
        St. Cloud State

Eastern Conference
        Michigan
        Michigan State
        Ferris State
        Western Michigan
        Bowling Green
        Notre Dame
        Miami of Ohio
        Ohio State

Since I'm somewhat geographically challenged, it might be a better
travel fit for Mankato State to be in the Central.  However, I think this
split would result in the least amount of travel time (and expense) for
teams within each conference.  For example, in the Eastern conference all
travel would be by bus for in-conference games.  Likewise, the Upper
Peninsula Teams (Tech, Northern and Lake State) would be spared the hell
of a downstate Michigan bus ride twice each year.

Just my humble opinion.

James T. Holden                      "The first thing we do, let's kill
Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott               all the lawyers."
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania           Dick the Butcher, "2 Henry VI", Act IV,
[log in to unmask]              Scene II, by William Shakespeare