From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:10:58 -0500
On Mar 31, 11:03am, Steven Bartley Univ Of Michigan wrote:
> Subject: the crowd at UM/CC game
> First of all, when you were outside the arena from 11 to 12:30, it looked
> like a UM football game with thousands of UM fans and hundreds of people
> tailgating in the parking lots.  The UM fans were as loud as could be at the
> beginning of the game and during the first period.

        Not unusual for a Michigan hockey game.  You have a very
        active fan base.  Especially for the big show.

> HOWEVER, when CC scored their first and second goals in the second period,
> their "fans" went nuts, which turned out to be at least half of the arena.
>  CC had one section to themselves at the other end of the arena so I could
> not hear them very well.  My joke at the time was that you could tell the CC
> students by how TAN they were.  But everyone who was not a UM student/alum/
> whatever was against UM.  The UM band/student section was right next to a MSU
> contingent who was very vocal during any CC scoring.  It's nice to know that
> UM is such a well-loved school from non-alums across the country.

        Michigan fans could do a lot to upgrade their support outside
        Ann Arbor by losing or at least downgrading their demeaning group
        cheers.  It makes me want to cry to watch a close game where a
        goalie is playing his heart out, many times with little defense
        in front of him, only to be told by over half the arena
        that he's a SIEVE! and it ALL HIS FAULT! when one gets by
        him.  You can say that's part of the game and indicative of
        great "fan support" but that's not what I call it.

        This was especially true at the last UM/MSU game at Yost this
        season.  From where I was sitting (yet another gripe) it
        looked like Chad Alban was the only thing keeping MSU in
        the game.  The MSU defense skated around like cadavers
        yet the score remained close due to Alban standing on his
        head in goal.  But, when UM did score, the fans were on him
        as if he was playing as bad as they said he was.  I have no
        problem with cheering when your team scores.  In fact, I think
        it's the thing to do.  But there's a difference between celebrating
        your team's success and arrogant gloating over the other team.

        This may sound like sour grapes from someone whose teams didn't
        make the finals and maybe it is.  Or maybe i just suck, i just
        suck, i just suck ...

> It's still very exciting to look around or walk around and see Wisconsin,
> Minnesota, BU, MSU, and all the other schools jersies and fan supporters.
>  It's always great to see college hockey come together like this.

        I agree ... I very much enjoyed seeing representatives of every
        school and was proud to represent mine.  All in all, it was
        a great weekend of college hockey, leaking pipes and all.
        And congratulations to every team who participated including
        a talented and deserving Michigan team.  But it won't hurt
        my feelings if I wait a while before I hear another rendition
        of "Hail to the Victors".

--
Matt Wickey                                 LSSU '86
CIMLINC Inc.                                NCAA Champs 88 92 94