From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:50:59 -0500
A third contributor to Mike and Dave's analysis of Lowell

>>> Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]> 03/21/96
>>>I can only add to Mike's excellent encapsulation of UML's squad that
>>> first line left winger Neil Donovan has been struggling lately.  Of his
>>> 21 goals on the season only 4 have come in the last 19 games.

Neil has been performing below our *HIGH* expectations ... of which a
great portion was due to his early season scoring feast! Now, something
happened about a month ago that caused Crowder to sit Donovan in the
weekend games with Army and at B.U. Also, from time to time in the last
month, I've seen Donovan sit a shift  here and there while a four-line
forward takes his spot on the first line. The only thing I've been able to
gather as info on this is some speculation as to Crowder's demands that
his forwards play physical games. Had Neil been avoiding checks? I saw
no evidence of this but I haven't been able to get any other info on this.

>>>The second line of Christian Sbrocca, Jon Mahoney, and Ryan
>>> Sandholm have been carrying the team lately

This is my favorite line! Always has been. I wonder who'll take
Christian's place when he graduates. You know Crowder will keep
Mahoney and Sandholm together. These two are always aware of
where eachother is. Watch them in pre-game warm-ups. They're hardly
ever more than 10 feet apart. Christian is the BIG catalyst on this line. He
throws his 185 lbs around like he's 285 lbs. Also, a big talker on the
ice...he's always taunting opponents or talking it up with teamates.

>>> while the first line of Jeff Daw, Brendan Concannon, and Donovan
>>> have been off their game.  The third line of David Dartsch, Marc
>>> Salsman, and speedster Shannon Basaraba tend to match up well
>>> with most any third line out there.

Actually, when Lowell is home ... or has the home team qualification in
tourney games ... Crowder plays his third line against the opponents first
line. Not really a checking-line in the true sense, these three are fast, get
back quickly and are explosive enough to keep opposing lines on their
toes. The match up of this line against other team's first line will often
lead to Lowell's Sbrocca line facing the opponents third line. This should
be the case against Michigan State, given Lowell's seed advantage. This
is also a big reason why Sbrocca's line has been so effective lately.

>>> Defensive combinations are totally up in the air given the injuries.  :-(

One quick note here...Lowell has to stop deep penetrations by the
forwards along the boards. Especially need to keep these forwards from
turning to the net and making plays out front. Speedy wingers can be a
problem for Libbett and Barrozino.

>>> If you want to flat out enjoy any one player, my obvious pick would
>>> be Christian Sbrocca.  He's got great wheels, can be a playmaker
>>> with the best of them, and is the grittiest 5' 10" speedburner you'll
>>> ever see.  He plays with a ton of heart and is my favorite all-time
>>> UML player.

Absolutely agree ...100%

>>>The player the other team will most likely hate will be Ed Campbell.
>>> He's no goon; Lowell players have questioned how he was left off
>>> the All-HE team. He's got excellent offensive skills and plays the
>>> defensive end solidly.  He does pick up penalties -- he could be
>>> considered the team's Enforcer -- but most of them are matching so
>>> he isn't just a hot-headed basketcase.  I wouldn't say he's dirty
>>> either, just tough as nails.

Ed will make the Ranger's squad next year.

>>> Campbell plays the point on the power play along with Brendan
>>> Concannon.  The second line has been so hot lately that they may
>>> have moved from number two power play unit to number one, but
>>> the usual number one unit is Daw, Donovan, and Salsman (moved up
>>> from the third line since Concannon is back at the point).

Sbrocca has been playing first line power-play with Daw and Salsman.
Concannon hasn't been effective on the point in my opinion. To be a
great power-play point man, you have to have a sort of
ice-water-in-veins presence. Keeping the puck in the zone is all too
crucial in these situations and I haven't seen Brendan perform this
important facet all that well. Campbell is good at this. Look for Daw to
assume his high-left position during powerplays...sort of a semi-point
man. From this slot he has been deadly, netting a nation-leading 18
power play goals two years ago as a sophomore.

>>>DaveH - who won't be commenting further on the seeding even if
>>> someone calls
>>>        him a 400 pound, flatulent, Nazi lesbian.  :-)

-Paul G. - who's delighted that Lowell's screwing in the seeding has
recieved so much attention and warranted commentary. It is common
knowledge now, that Lowell indeed got screwed. But, like Dave, I will not
comment any further until next year at this time .. if its so neccesary and
relevant at that time! *wink*