From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 02:41:37 EST
-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> were losing the second game by 4 goals or so when Coach
> Addessa pulled the goalie for an extra skater for the last
> 10 minutes.  Joe Crowley (I think that's his name) was the
> Colgate goalie and he must have faced 10-15 shots on net
> in the last 10 minutes of the third period.  Colgate did
> not have a decent backup goalie to put in and trust to
> hold on to the win.  Crowley was tired going into the 10
> minute minigame and RPI scored two goals to win the
> minigame and the series.

WOW! -- I had never heard that -- It's stuff like that why I love this
list. I love when coaches do things that appear crazy but when you look
closely enough, make all the sense in the world.
    You know coaches are great when they change rules because of you,
and that reminds me of the Al Arbour tactic, where he would change
goalies late in the game to give his team a boost or rest, then change
back.  He did this in Game 5 vs. Pitt. in '82, Isles down 3-1, and the
Isles came back in the last 5 minutes, and won in OT.  They changed the
rules about warming up goalies during games.

   I'm not saying the ECAC went away from the mini-game because of this,
obviously they didn't because it ended years later, but it certainly
isn't possible anymore.

   BTW, for all the complaining about not playing games 1 and 2 to
conclusion in the ECAC tourney, it's a thousand times better than the
mini-game thing, and a million times better than a total goal series,
which are ludicrous.

AW