From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 23:36:50 -0400
Sean Pickett writes, in regards to the Centennial All-Time Favorites
poll:

>Since Geoff Howell of Drop the Puck was mentioned as one of the
>experts, would Geoff care to explain exactly how the polling/voting
>worked?  And how about disclosing who he voted for.

The AHCA originally intended to have two teams, one selected by
the fans and one by a panel of 'experts.' The ballots were sent
to the various schools for distribution at the rinks - if none
showed up at your rink, that may well be because the local contingent
failed to put them out. I know that Harvard had a ton in the press
box - but I don't know if the Bright Center fans were given any.

In any case, the fan selections were so provincial (either because
of conscious ballot-stuffing or because people just didn't know enough
about other teams) that selecting a fan team was not possible. I'm
not sure whether the press release included EVERYONE who filled out
an 'expert' ballot or was just intended to be a significant sample.

The year that appeared after each player's name was his last in college,
not his 'best year.' The only guideline for suggestions was that we
pick our all-time greats from each era -- I construed that to be a
subjective judgment based on career/peak value for each player (thus,
a guy who had one incredible year might outweigh someone with four
good years).

I only filled out an East ballot. I gave strong consideration to Hobey
finalists, All-Americas & NCAA tourney success. Unfortunately, I did not
keep a copy of my ballot -- I'll recreate it to the best of my memory:

80-90s team

G Chris Terreri (can't think of anyone I'd rather have for one big game)
D Brian Leetch (Hobey finalist as a rookie - HE player of year as rookie)
D Mark Fusco (3-time All-America, Hobey - quite a resume)
F Lane MacDonald (edges Adam Oates on 4-year value)
F       Paul Kariya (Only freshman Hobey winner)
F Scott Fusco (Hobey winner, 2-time All-America)

Player of era: Kariya
Coach of era:  Jack Parker
Team of era: Maine '93

60-70s team

G Ken Dryden, Cornell
D Ron Wilson, Providence
D Curt Bennett, Brown (could have been Bob Gaudreau, also from Brown)
F Rick Meagher, BU
F Lance Nethery, Cornell
F Bob Brinkworth, RPI (I think- I may have put John Cunniff)

Player of era: Dryden
Coach of era: Jack Riley, Army
Team of era: Cornell '70

50s and before:

G Bill Sloan, SLU
D Pat Presley, SLU
D Myles Lane, Dartmouth
F Hobey Baker, Princeton
F Billy Cleary, Harvard
F       Abbie Moore, RPI

Player of era: Cleary
Coach of era: Eddie Jeremiah, Dartmouth
Team of era: B.C. '48

BTW, there was also a Division II/III ballot - I filled one out for
the East - but I don't know if enough people participated to name
a team.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine