From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 00:40:46 -0100
At 2:09 AM 1/6/96, Ryan Robbins wrote:
>Why would Maine re-hire Walsh? Because if it doesn't re-hire him, the
>hockey program will fall on its face and a lot of boosters will leave.

I'm interested in hearing more about why you think the program would "fall
on its face" without Walsh.  My outside view is that the program has been
built up enough by Walsh and others that if the right coach were to succeed
him (and one will have to be found someday anyway), then Maine would have a
very good chance at continuing to roll along as one of the top programs in
the country.  And I believe that the job at Maine is one of the more
attractive ones in DivI and would be sought by many qualified candidates,
perhaps including some of the current staff like Greg Cronin if he shows
enough over the next year.

Perhaps many boosters would leave, but the most attractive thing to
boosters is a winning program, and others would replace them.  If you
believe Maine cannot win without Walsh, then that is one thing, but I don't
believe that is the case.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93