From:
Charles O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 13:33:36 -0500
        Bowling Green defeated Clarkson 3-2 Friday night.  I think
all five goals were power play.  This was our first chance to see
the "new" Clarkson team -- by "new" I don't mean just this year's
edition; I mean a team with a vastly different style of play.
Without the firepower we have had recently, CU is playing a physical,
close-checking game.  The bright side of last night's game was that,
in 5 on 5 hockey, the VERY talented BG forwards didn't have too
many good chances.  Our goalie, Dan Murphy, had an excellent game.

Random thoughts:

        This was a very clean game, quite well officiated.  Yes,
"Harry" was there -- Ammian, I mean -- and he made a few
ticky-tacky "Harry" calls, but they went both ways and the crew did
an excellent job.  Nothing like some of the nightmares we've been
reading about on this list.

        BG is talented, but not very physical.  I have grave doubts
they can go through a grueling CCHA schedule and be anything like
#6.

        Clarkson's new players performed very well, especially Mikko
Ollila, who is going to be a terrific defenseman, I predict.  Our
big, tough Frenchman, Guillaume Besse, showed some finesse as well.
Aaron Gates, a walk on, looked good.  CU is clearly better defensively
than last year.

        On the other hand, the offensive woes that people have
speculated about though the summer and early fall seem to be real.