From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 08:52:21 -0500
I haven't seen this posted, but the other day there was another discussion of
the impact of the facemask and other safety equipment used today on the rash
of serious injuries in hockey. The discussion was included as the feature
article of the college hockey preview issue in the Boston Globe.  There were
quotes from Jack Parker, Ben Smith, Bill Cleary, Toot Cahoon, Mike Eruzione &
Dave Silk, among others and the general consensus was that the increase in
the "suit of armor" (Eruzione said the players looked like they were ready
for jousting) has increased the amount of serious injuries in the game
because of the fearlessness of  the players.  "No more finesse", Dave Silk
described it.

I realize there are many out there who don't even remember the college game
without a face shield.  Beyond the aesthetics of it (you can no longer see
what the players look like), IMO there is too much highsticking, leaving your
feet to finish (start?) a check because the players know that there is no
immediate physical consequence for their actions.

I know that this subject has been debated among fans in the stands for
several years but, in light of the Roy injury, I think that this is a
wonderful forum to open up the discussion again.
Any thoughts?

Greg Ambrose, Go UNH Blue!!