From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 11:14:28 -0400
Since I follow the Men's and Women's game fairly close, I feel while the
situation overall is improving for women, things are still not very
fair.  I know if the Northeastern Men's program was being threatened with
club status, there would be a tremendous uproar.  Likewise if the ECAC
Men's League was told they were only going to have 16 games count in the
league instead of 22 (that is not total home and away series) the
complaints would be never ending.  But with the Women's game, that's just
part of the setup.

I don't want to see other programs cut because of gender equity.  I do
want to see a more level playing surface for all.  I am sure all of us
have seen big teams at a given school getting all sorts of perks that
other athletes don't get, or pay for.  The concept that some of these big
teams pay off for the school is rarely true, but even when it is, it
should mean that you than have the means to pay for other sports too.

It is good to see people like the Wooger at Minnesota coming around to
Women's Ice Hockey.  Having a strong league in the mid-west would be
great.  I hope more schools can open their eyes and allow more athletes
to particiapte.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf