From:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen E Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 08:43:08 EDT
Terry Paul Kasdan writes:

>     For all of you who refuse to recognize the A.C.H.A. as a viable,
>competitive alternative, here's are some facts:

I don't recall many posts suggesting that ACHA club hockey is
somehow not a legitimate part of the college hockey scene.  I could
wish, however, that some of those programs (including Arizona, Penn
State, Illinois) would have upgraded to the NCAA ranks, even if they
operated at a low-cost level (few or no scholarships, relatively
modest schedule, etc.).  Certainly their fan attendance base shows
there's more than enough support -- and one would think for all the
money these schools pour into football and basketball they could
somehow afford varsity hockey.

>        - Last year, Penn State (the A.C.H.A.'s championship runner-up)
>lost to the No. 1 ranked N.C.A.A. Division II team - 5 to 4 in overtime.

Well, I can't resist -- :-)   Last year the Nittany Lions also came
to Canisius . . . and were handed a 9-1 defeat (& it wasn't that
close).  Club hockey is fun & entertaining, but rarely measures up
to the caliber of play found in the varsity ranks.  Nonetheless, I
wish them well; can't imagine a worse fate than being at a college
that doesn't have a hockey team!

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                            (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14226                 FAX (716) 888-3190