From:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:02:07 -0400
I was thinking: If a school gives you a scholarship for 4 years, but then
you don't graduate (like Holzinger, Knuble, etc.) do you think that you
should have to pay at least part of it back?

It seems that more and more people are using college sports as a platform
into the pros.. Espcially for Basketball and Football.  Colleges are
their minors.  Hockey isn't so bad -- a few juniors leave and the
promising ones leave after their senior season ends.

STill, yes, at places like Michigan the normal tuition paying students
dont' pay for athletic scholarships, but they are using facilities,
instructors, and TAs.  And, for most of them, paying back their college
education by not graduating would be a drop in the bucket -- for soemone
like Webber, $15,000 would be nothing, but for maybe someone like Knuble,
who might only earn $300k playing with the red wings, $25,000 is more
siginficant, and enough to maybe keep pro teams from pressuring students
from turning pro early.

I have afeeling my stance will be unpopular, though.. ):

---
Eric Rickin ([log in to unmask])
University of Michigan Class of (December) 1995

finger -l [log in to unmask] for PGP Public Key
Homepage: http://www.umich.edu/~erickin