From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 12:23:01 -0400
        I just got my message back, and I forgot to mention a few things:

--Mike asked about this being a pattern for other schools to follow.
Someone out there mentioned the possibility of UConn stepping up. UConn
has oodles of revenue from both an elite eight men's basketball program
and a national champion women's one. No team has ever embodie the spirit
of Title IX better than the week they were number 1 in both sports. All
this revenue though will likely go to the football program, which has
announced its intention to got DI-A and join the Big East in a few years.
Now is not a good time for them to add hockey, at least until the football
team gets its fet on th ground, and porducing revenue.

--Merrimack College has also given much to its women's athletics, to
counteract its sole DI team. SID Jim Seavey will talk all day about his
D3 Softball championship. It is something that the school takes
incredible pride in.

--UMass women's hockey is something that I'm very unfamiliar with. I
know they exist, but they get less press than they rugby and fencing
clubs. I have no idea if there is possibility  of it being elevated
to Varsity status, but obviously I'd like to see it happen. Thanks
largely to the success of the men's team, the women's basketball program
has come out of the shadows lately. When the hockey team becomes more
well situated, could increased attention to women's hockey accompany
that? I did catch a few minutes of their game against BU's club. They
drew about 150-200 for the game, played at the Mullins practice rink.

Leigh