From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 13:56:56 EST
From Lynn's AP report:

>WCHA CONSOLATION
>
>   ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Minnesota blew a 4-0 lead but Scott
>Bell scored at 17:14 of overtime to salvage a 5-4 victory over
>Denver Saturday for third place in the WCHA Final Five tournament.

Just out of curiosity, anyone have any idea why the WCHA chose to go with
the 20-minute overtime(s) in the consolation game?  Other tournament conso-
lations that I've seen have gone with the 5-minute overtime, as in the
regular season, and then have declared a tie if no one scores in the extra
period.  The NC$$ rule book suggests, but does not require, that third-place
tournament games follow the overtime procedure used in normal regular-season
games.  (The precise wording, from rule 6-44, is "Third-place games *may*
follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 6-43" -- emphasis mine)

Just wondering if there was some reason the WCHA decided to go with the full
20-minute OT, rather than trying to get the relatively meaningless (well, to
everybody but Minnesota and Denver and their fans) consolation game over
with so that the main event could begin.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"One night a week is not a network, it's a marriage."
-- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_, on the new television networks