From:
Julian Chu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julian Chu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:31:53 -0500
I have little to add from the previous excellent responses to this
unfortunate subject, particularly Richard's excellent (as usual) analysis.

The shift in emphasis to defense should be readily apparent from the Goals
for and Goals against stats for Harvard (or looking at the CHODR ratings),
but unfortunately that doesn't necessarily translate into wins.  I find it
particularly odd given the offensive firepower this team (should have) had.

Let me emphasize, as was mentioned before, the importance of the weakened
power play this year.  Last year's team lived off the power play...whenever
the other team received a penalty early, it seemed to be the spark that got
the Crimson going for the rest of the game, especially as they very often
scored on those early power plays.

I don't have the stats here, but I'd be interested in seeing what
percentage of last year's goals were PPG's...I'll bet a disproportionate
number.  Anyway, the loss of McCann (and to some extent, Maguire) and their
ability to hit the one-timer slapshot on the power play really hurt, I
think.  Nobody this year seemed confident in firing the cannon, and there
was too much needless passing, perhaps looking for the 'perfect'
opportunity.  Coughlin was supposed to have the big gun this year, but I
didn't see it very often, nor was it very accurate.

With McCann low on the left and Martins on the right, last year's power
play gave opposing defenses lots to worry about, giving folks like Farrell
and Baird more room to operate down low and in the slot.  During this
season, they could concentrate on stopping Martins (who, to his credit,
still was able to score quite a few PPG's).

The goalie situation was possibly a big factor as well.  Not only, IMO, was
Israel the more consistent goalie, but this year Tracy got no rest...not
being a goalie myself, I can't say how important having every other game
off may be, but it may explain Tracy's erratic play this season.  Not that
the defense helped him any...

So, last night I heard that Harvard has some top notch goalie recruit
coming next year...anyone else hear similarly?  Who else are the Crimson
getting next year?  Let's talk about the future now, and give us all
something to hope for...

   Julian Chu

  /  Gemini Consulting's C4 Lab  \
  |  Phone:  617-252-0760        |