From:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 18:11:08 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>|> include non-ivy ECAC teams, but if they keep it up, RPI may soon
>|> find its band unwelcome in any of the Ivy arenas. I intend to write a
>|> letter to my athletic director encouraging that the RPI band never be
allowed
>|> back at Brown.
>
>And I am going to write a letter encouraging that the Brown band never be allow
>d back at RPI. What happened happened, but I think the problem can be corrected
>without banning people (bands) from games. When I come to Providence, I expect
>he same treatment you, your band, and your fans got in Troy (taunting in good n
>ture, maybe some distasteful comments, but not obscene, and definitely no acts
>f violence or vandalism.) And I don't expect our band to parade around your are
>a. I seem to remember some Brown fans (not the band) getting a bit, no, way out
>of hand in a playoff visit to the Field House in 1990. Perhaps Brown fans shoul
> not be allowed in the Field House. If that were so, you would not have been at
>the game in the first place. Obviously, this is not the answer.

Doesn't Vermont not allow opposing team's bands to play at their home
games?  If so then that would be a precedent for RPI to disallow bands,
especially for special events like the FreakOut.  I wasn't at this game,
but IMHO RPI should
have asked the Brown Band not to come.  The Band would have been annoyed
but a lot of hard feelings would have been saved, and if the Band showed
up anyway they would have no one to blame but themselves.  If opposing
school's bands are allowed to play at a home game, then they should be
treated with some level of respect.  Maybe things >would< be better off if
visiting school's bands are barred as a matter of policy- I don't know,
I'm not a band member so I don't have much insight here.

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>