From:
WILLIAM SANGREY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WILLIAM SANGREY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 09:50:14 -0500
Mike made a comment concerning comparing the instate versus out-of-state
players on the rosters of Massachusetts teams vs. the Minnesota Gophers.
He said that the Mass teams could not compete if they only recruited in
Mass. One reason for this is that there are 7 D-I schools in Mass while
only 3 in Minnesota, which obviously helps concentrate the Minnesota
talent.  This is to say nothing of the disparity in school numbers if you
take all schools within say 100 to 150 miles of the state (since many
players like to stay near home).
  It seems to me the composition of a roster should not be all that
important.  If the Minnesotans do not want to spend the energy going out
of state, why should they?  You can hardly argue with the success that
Woog and the other coaches have had.  I would bet that if you took an
honest polling (oxymoron?) of H-L members, very few would be disapointed
if their team had Minnesota's success.  Maybe all of this bickering is
just envy of a clean, well run program that wins much more than it loses.
I certainly would not complain if Cornell could boast such a winning
percentage, but then again by the end of the year, Mass-Amherst will
probably have more wins than the Red.  (say "goodbye" Brian).
  Just my thoughts from the hockey hinterlands,

William Sangrey
Cornell '87 & '94
Let's Go RED!!!!

P.S.  To the (other) writer in NC, HTS the cable sports out of
Washington, DC carried here in Durham does show the Prime Friday
Game-of-the-week, so you may find some hockey if you look around for it.