From:
Jeffery S Walden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffery S Walden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 15:18:11 -0600
NMU   1  1  3     5
UND   1  1  2     4

First Period:

SCORING:
1.  NMU-Karlander 6 (MacGillvray)  8:29
2.  UND-Naumenko  7 (Unassisted)  17:34

PENALTIES:
NMU-Seymour, Boarding  :17
UND-Wilson, Roughing  7:27
UND-Trew, Roughing  7:27
NMU-Cain, Roughing  7:27
NMU-Spina, Roughing 7:27
NMU-Janicki, Roughing 7:27
UND-Wynne, Slashing  18:36

Second Period:

SCORING:
3.  NMU-Harding 8 (Hehr, MacGillvray) 15:50
4.  UND-Rappana 1 (Beswick, Wilson)  18:39

PENALTIES:

NMU-Sheptak, Interference  2:20
NMU-Sheptak, Elbowing  11:32
UND-Slukynsky, Tripping  18:53

Third Period:

SCORING:

5.  NMU-Hadden 14 (MacGillvray, Harding)  :26-PPG
6.  NMU-Karlander 7 (MacGillvray, George)  8:37
7.  NMU-Harding 9 (MacGillvray)  8:45
8.  UND-Pivetz 2 (Unassisted)  10:13-PPG
9.  UND-K. Murphy 5 (Sturrock, Slukynsky)  13:53

PENALTIES:

UND-Kirton, Highsticking  :52
NMU-Welsing, Roughing  :52
NMU-Riplinger, Hooking  9:13
NMU-Cain, Tripping  11:24
NMU-George, Highsticking  16:37

Goalie Saves:

UND-Kvalevog  3  9  3    15
UND-Lembke    x  x  4     4

NMU-Kochan    14  19  20    53

Penalties:
UND 5-10
NMU 10-20

Power Plays:
UND 1-7
NMU 1-2

Referees:
Mark Thomas
Brendan Rutherford

Linesman:
Randy Schmidt

Attendance:
5,204

games where one team is in the opponent's zone for most of the game.
They get a large amount of shots on goal, but due to exceptional play by the
other goaltender, the other team is kept into the game and wins.  That is
what happened last night with the Sioux going up against Northern Michigan.
        Dieter Kochan, who was WCHA Defensive Player of the Week last
week, did a phenominal job against the Sioux.  He stopped many
breakaways and 2 on 1s.  He is the only reason why the Wildcats won the
game.  Wait!!  Another reason is that Toby Kvalevog couldn't stop any
coming his way.  I believe it wasn't his fault, though.  I mean the first
goal was a breakaway shorthanded goal.  The next goal was a redirected
shot.  The third goal was off the faceoff and was screened, I think, by
the whole Wildcat team and 2 Sioux.  But after Kvalevog let in a soft
goal,  Coach Blais brought in the back-up goalie, Lembke.  And eight
seconds later, Lembke was welcomed into the game with a high, glovehand
goal.  I guess one leg split does not constitute a good warmup!!
        I believe the Sioux tonight should start Toby Kvalevog and do
what they did last night, you can't go wrong with 57 shots on goal.  And
as a Sioux fan, I hope Kochan ate some bad chicken after the game so we
don't face him tonight or it will be another long night.

                                                        Jeff