From:
spickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 16:09:56 -0500
>I also want to comment on the officiating in the UAH-St. Anselm's games
>of a week ago.  One of the refs was named Brown and it was announced that he
>was from Boston.  Brown really called a fantastic game - he was consistent,
>he was observant, he was in position, and I felt that the players knew
>that he was the boss.  Perhaps someone knows which leagues Brown usually
>refs in - I haven't seen him down here before (UAH usually has a local
>guy as one of their refs and cycles between two or three other guys
>as the other ref).  Too many of the refs for games here seem to miss
>a lot of stuff - I'm not saying that they're partial (they're not - they call
>it even up), just that they don't seem to be looking in the right places as
>often as they might.  Brown was clearly an experienced ref.  Maybe he was an
>NHL or ECHL guy trying to keep sharp, although he reffed like a college ref
>would call a game.

I would guess that he is a referee in the same conference St. Anselm is in.
Some teams who travel to out of the way hockey schools make sure to put it
in the contract that they can bring along their own league officials to get
better (or impartial) officiating.

Several years ago BU was planning on going to Alaska-Anchorage (before they
joined the WCHA) and they always used local officials.  Maine had played at
UAA the year before and Shawn Walsh said something along the lines he would
never play them again unless he could bring HE officials to officiate.  Jack
Parker decided to demand HE officials for the BU games in Anchorage and UAA
refused.  End of BU plans to go to Anchorage.

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!