From:
The Voice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Voice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 1994 10:04:00 -0500
On yet another chilly evening in the Frank Southern Center (does the city
of Bloomington know about heaters???...I mean, it's artificial ice, so
the temp. of the building and the temp of the ice are not quite the same),
the IU hockey club opened their season with an 8-3 win over Kentucky.  UK
demolished the Hoosiers twice in Lexington last year.

Captain Bryan Lore was the hero for the Hoosiers, netting a hat trick, and
junior goaltender Alex Kyrias made a ton of key saves stopping Wildcat
flurries.  Special teams were the difference, as IU was 6-14 on the power
play.  Kentucky was 1-10, with 2 shorthanded goals.  IU jumped ahead
early on Derek Perkins' rebound goal, but UK answered later on in the
period on a breakaway goal by Chris Boyd.  Perkins was denied on a
penalty shot later in the period.  IU scored twice more in the 1st, and
once in the second.  UK made the Hoosiers' 4-1 lead a precarious one,
scoring twice...Ryan Ward scoring a PP goal to make it 4-2, and then
Bryan Morgenthaler got the 'Cats within one on a shorthanded marker.
Lore (I think) got the Hoosiers revenge w/in a minute to put IU ahead 5-3
midway through the third, and it was all piling it on from there.

The most important play of the evening happened with 66 seconds to play
and IU up by a safe four goals.  UK's Morgenthaler ripped off Kyrais'
mask (which is VERY hard to do)...and Kyrias did not get up for about 15
minutes.  Morgenthaler recieved a game misconduct for his actions, and
will likely face a suspension from the ACHA.  Kyrias, we guessed,
got a concussion, as he was helped off the ice, and was skating very
woozy.

Indiana    3   1   4  --8
Kentucky   1   0   2  --3
Power plays...UK 1-10, 2shg   IU 6-14 (I think...I lost count).

------------Go IU Hoosiers-----------------------Go Boston Bruins-------------
Andrew Smith                  Ph--812-857-1658            [log in to unmask]
For snail-mail and IHL Mailing List Info finger [log in to unmask]
It's easier to try than to prove it can't be done            --The Moody Blues