From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 1994 14:45:46 MDT
Sports column from today's paper by Ralph Routon, sports editor
(without permission)

Title: CC left a lot behind at World Arena

Don Lucia made very few mistakes in his unforgettable first season as Colorado
College's head hockey coach.

But as the Tigers begin their quest for another Western Collegiate Hockey
Association title this weekend (Saturday and Sunday afternoons) against North
Dakota, Lucia realizes he forgot to save a few items from the Broadmoor World
Arena.

Like, maybe, a handful of sparrows, along with their nests. How about
some of those forever-dim light bulbs. Or the much-loathed nets that
distorted the view from behind each goal. Perhaps even the Broadmoor
ushers in their red blazers.

Those and other souvenirs might have come in handy now, as Colorado
College tries to create an intimidating environment in its temporary
new home, Air Force's Cadet Ice Arena.

"Maybe we could even mount some old deer heads on the walls, like they
did years ago at the Broadmoor," Lucia said with a chuckle. "Then we'd
really have some atmosphere."

In a perfect world, Lucia and CC would be exhilarated this week at the
prospect of christening a new 7,500-seat arena, filled with vocal fans
and students anxious to see if the Tigers can rule the WCHA again.

"That would have been the best scenario," Lucia said. "By the end of
last season, we could have sold at least 5,000 to 6,000 tickets for
every game. It would be great to have room for all those people now."

Instead, with that new arena two years away, CC must adjust to Air
Force's spacious, well-lit, sparrow-free, user- friendly rink, which
seats 2,635 (about 1,000 fewer than the World Arena) with standing
room for several hundred more.

How can the Tigers transform Cadet Ice Arena into a much-feared pit? Simple.

"The biggest thing is the fans, no matter where you play," Lucia said.
"If we can sell out every time, and our supporters turn out like last
season, that's what home ice is all about.

"Our fans will find out it's an easy drive, the parking is great, and
there's no comparison how much better you can see the game. We need to
fill the stands, then give them an exciting product. If we do that, we
can have the same home advantage that we had at the Broadmoor."

Season-ticket sales are active (around 500, up from 150 a year ago).
After students and passes, that could leave only 1,500 or so tickets
for everyone else.

In other words, if you want to see such big-draw games as Minnesota or
Denver, buy those seats now. Or, as Lucia said, "just get season
tickets and then you're set."

If last weekend was any indication, those home games might become hot
tickets.  Playing at highly regarded Michigan, the Tigers won easily
(7-4) on Friday before losing Saturday (5-4) on a last-second goal.

"It was a good experience for us, because Michigan always is a
contender," Lucia said. "Now we need to get off to a fast start in the
league, like last year. If we had just split with Minnesota instead of
sweeping them to start last season, we wouldn't have won the league."

Lucia sees similar potential between these Tigers and the team that stunned the
WCHA last season, with experience in every area and five forwards capable of
scoring 40 points.

"The only question is how we can jell as a team," Lucia said. "Last
year, that was as good of a `team' as I've seen in 14 years. We had
great cohesion, great leadership and no big injuries. We had all the
intangibles.

"This team's goal is to get to the NCAA tournament. We don't want to
be like other teams that win the league and finish seventh the next
year. We don't want to be a yo-yo. The real challenge is to stay at
this level.

"We're still the lunch-bucket brigade. We can't just show up and beat
anybody. But we have a chance for another excellent year, if we can
have those intangibles on our side again."

Like a real homey feeling at Cadet Ice Arena. Even without the Broadmoor birds.

In fact, maybe Air Force can spare a few falcons.

Ralph Routon's column regularly appears in the Gazette Telegraph sports section.

========= end quoted material

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369