From:
"Terry A. May" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry A. May
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 15:46:37 -0700
     The new club hockey season has gotten underway in the West.  It was
delayed here in Flagstaff after a good start in early October as a result
of a possible health problem in our local city-owned rink.  At a youth game
on the 9th, several players and an official complained of redness & serious
irritation of the eyes.  As a result, the rink was closed by the city to
conduct health-related, chemical tests.  Nothing specific was identified
and the facility was opened without further incident on the 20th.

     This created problems for our club team as tryouts were scheduled for
the week of the 10th.  We arranged several hours for late-night practice at
a Phoenix rink the following weekend in anticipation of a weekend series of
games in California with U. CA - Berkeley (10/20) & San Jose State U.
(10/21 & 22).  I was not able to accompany the team which was victorious in
all three by scores of 6-3, 3-0, and 6-3.  Fortunately, no one was hurt
seriously after such limited practice time.  I understand that the new rink
in San Jose was terrific with about 1,000 at the game.  Those near there
might want to check it out.

     I will post more of club scores from here as the season unfolds - we
play Arizona State University Friday night at the Oceanside Ice Arena if
anyone is near Tempe/Scottsdale.  I am not certain of the time, but I
believe it is 9:45 p.m.  I was told that the University of Arizona beat ASU
by a score of about 7-3 this past weekend.  We are excited about this
coming year as the ACHA Div. I finals are in Tucson & the Div. II finals
are in Fort Collins, Colorado hosted by Colorado State University.  I have
not been to the rink in Ft. Collins, but UA plays at the Tucson Civic
Center which seats nearly 6,000 for hockey.  The weather is terrific in
Tucson in March, & it would be a nice time for hockey fanatics to
experience club hockey at its best.  Best wishes to all.

Terry A. May, Ph.D.                       Voice:    602-523-6788
  Director of Research Administration     FAX:      602-523-1075
  Office of Grant & Contract Services     INTERNET: [log in to unmask]
  100 Babbitt Admin. Ctr., Box 4130
  Northern Arizona University
  Flagstaff, AZ  86011-4130