From:
Rick Scero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 1994 08:31:20 EDT
*Message:
From: SCERO at OLEC
Date: 10/19/94 7:44AM
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask] at OCF_INFORM
Subject: Re: BG-MSU penalty discussion
Contents:

Glen Keeney writes....
>>   Anyway one of the issues apparently had to do with exactly when a
>> penalty terminates.  That is when a penalty is recorded at, say, 5:30, does
>> it end and 7:29, 7:30, or 7:31 and apparently no rule covers the situation
>> exactly (so says the hockey office; I looked quickly and could find nothing
>> either).
>>  It boils down to just 'what time is it?' when the clock says 7:30?  Of
>>  course the clock says that for nearly a full second (minus the switching
>> time from one second to the next).  The question then becomes what if the
>> penalty is recorded 5:30?  Did the player start serving the 2 minutes at the
>> start of the "5:30" second or at the end of the "5:30" second?  And was the
>> goal scored at the start of the 'second' or at the end of the'second'.  Could
>> be a crucial point.

The rule books clearly state the duration of all minor penalties is 2:00
minutes.  So if the penalty starts at 5:30, it expires at 7:30, not 7:29 which
would be a 1:59 second penalty.  When the clock read 0:00 for the remaining
penalty time, the penalty is up regardless of whether or not the player has
returned to the ice.

Rick

INTERNET:[log in to unmask] Glen Keeney 17:11 EDT 18-Oct-94 for SCERO 17:30 EST
18-Oct-94 Message 3442-26886