From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 17:46:48 -0400
Walt Olsen wrote:

>In the Sept 28 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education,
>page A43, there is an article discussing the problem of
>16 year old high school players goining to the Canadian Major
>Junior A League thereby disqualifying them from competing
>in NCAA for ever more. Many young players believe that Jr. A
>is the fast track to the NHL. The NCAA has declared the Jr. A
>to be proffessional hockey. The article quotes Mr. Bill Beaghan,
>Commish, CCHA, insinuating that the NHL, which wants the ban
>lifted, would use the NCAA as a minor league for the NHL. He is
>also said to oppose this because it would allow colleges to
>"manufacture" [emphasis in the original] powerhouse teams. There
>are other quotes from Shawn Walsh and Mike Addessa which indicate
>opposing views.
>
>Furthermore, it was indicated that most 16 year olds are unaware
>of the NCAA rule. Certainly the Jr A coaches have no interest in
>informing players of the rule. NCAA coaches often can not talk
>to a 16 year old because the student hasn't completed his junior
>year in high school, yet.

I doubt this is true. Most 16 year olds are also courted by Tier II Jr. A
teams, who would tell them about this rule. I would think that most parents
know about this rule, and if the parents want the player to go to college
they will make him aware of it. If I remember correctly, 16-year-olds can
only be drafted by the OHL in the first three rounds.

It is true, OTOH, that a coach can't talk to a player (usually) when he is
a 16-year-olds.

I'm not sure how I sit on the issue of allowing players who have played on
Major Junior teams to play in the NCAA. I'm not sure what the effect would
be on Tier II Jr. A teams, since right now they are the main route to the
NCAA. I fear the quality of these leagues would go downhill.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards          Stats Geek, Ottawa Senators Jr. A Hockey Club (CJHL)
Law IV, CUSA Arts/SS Rep   Owner: Ottawa Polar Bears (WIFFL) (2-2)