From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 05:23:48 -0400
Ken wrote:
>Re: Ferraros
>  My guess is that Mike Keenan, the Rangers' coach, is not too keen on the
>Ferraros. Mike likes bangers; the Ferraros appear to be finese types. In the
>earlier 80's the Rangers were called "The Smurfs" for having so many small,
>speedy forwards wearing blue shirts). Mike has changed all that. Tonight we
>see if it pays off. Keenan is from the Don Cherry school, and I'm not sure
>how fond he might be of the college game.

I agree that Mike Keenan likes bangers, not finesse types.  However,
remember that he did go to college himself and played for St. Lawrence
(early '70s I think).  Even with this said, I can't comment on what his
feelings are about the college game.  Anyway, it probably is more Neil
Smith who has changed the Rangers from being a finesse team to a more
physical team as much of the changes, e.g. Messier, came before Keenan.

I do think that the Ferraros, especially Chris, would have benefited
from another year of college hockey, but they may get similar
experience in Atlanta.  Perhaps they were not cut out to be students.
(Please don 't flame me if they are A students.  I really don't recall
any earlier comments about their academic success.)

Ralph Baer  RPI '68, '70, '74
To all Islander fans  --  1983!!!