From:
#1 Badger Fan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
#1 Badger Fan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 22:46:43 -600
Just wanted to get in my two cents worth on the Final Four.  These
comments come in no particular order:

1.  Does Harvard have speed or what?  Not having seen them play since
their national championship game vs. Minnesota, a few years back, it was a
treat to see them play.  I wish that someday I will be able to skate half
as fast as they did.  Also, I thought that their power play was
exceptional.  I have never seen the puck moved around with so many
one-touch passes.  Kind of makes my Bucky's power play seem very poor.  I
hope that next year it improves.

2.  The Civic Center, while a good place for hockey, seemed to have
terrible crowd control problems.  I walked about after the first period of
the first game, and went to the bathroom, but after that I stayed in my
seat between periods, no matter how hungry or bored I became.  I think
that they should make the traffic flow in the bathrooms one way.  And can
anybody explain the Twin Cities' fascination with troughs for urinals?  I
know that the Metrodome, Target Center, and Mariucci have them.  And the
only other place I have ever seen use them is in Pella, Iowa.

3.  Most Improved Band:  BU -- ten times better than the non-existent
performance at the 1993 Final Four.  Still no Badger Band, but then again,
no one ever has been or will be.

4.  The hockey-l get-together between semi-final games on Thursday was
excellent.  My guests and I had a wonderful time.  The same goes for the
tour of Mariucci on Friday.  That place is a palace.  A great place for
hockey.  Thanks a bunch, Carol.

5.  Kind of a plus-minus thing for BU.  I was impressed by the enthusiasm
that Tony from BU and his friends showed for the game.  However, I found
it rather disheartening that some BU fans saw the national anthem as a
time for cheering for their team.  Regardless of intent, it comes across
as rude, and is a terrible advertisement for the school, and in a national
event such as this, it gives the region that the school is from a bad
name.  I must admit, four years ago, I wouldn't have cared.  But when I
attended Boys' State, I learned how much importance some people put into
the singing of the national anthem, as it represents ideals that
*thousands* of people have died for.  I don't mean that everyone has to
attach such importance to it, but all should at least respect others who
do view the anthem in this manner.

6.  The five minute major that Harvard had in the semi-final was not
deserved.  It seems from other posts that the consensus is that it was a
deliberate hit.  Granted, a penalty had to be called, but not a major.  It
was a clean attempt at a hit.  The Lake State player unfortunately had his
head down.  Hey, in a sport like hockey, it happens.  At least the ref had
the decency to take two minutes away.

7.  The final game breaks a string of three (by my count) straight
championship games that were basically one goal games (minus empty netter
in 1992).  That's too bad.  Now next year, when I probably won't be able
to make it to Providence, Wisconsin will probably beat Lake State in four
overtimes.  And so it goes, I guess.

8.  What kind of an all-tourney team is the one from the final four?  Only
one player from the non-championship team?  Granted, with a 9-1 win in the
final, Lake State deserved a major share of spots.  But you can't tell me
that Harvard didn't deserve any spots.

Well, I guess I can take consolation from the fact that the last time the
Badgers weren't expected to make the final four, they almost won the
national title in 1992.

U        U       W                     W *** TROY THIELE
U        U        W         W         W  *** LORAS COLLEGE (GO DUHAWKS!)
U        U         W       W W       W   *** One of the few college hockey fans
U        U          W     W   W     W    *** that resides in Iowa.
U        U           W   W     W   W     ***
U        U            W W       W W      *** "It's a great day for hockey" --
UUUUUUUUUU             W         W       *** "Badger" Bob Johnson