From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 05:43:51 -0500
David wrote and several have already commented:

>         Here's a "rules question" that's sort of ridiculous, but the
> person who asked it during the RPI-Cornell game the other night is just
> the type to ask such a question, and I couldn't find anything in the
> rulebook that addresses it.  Suppose that because of injuries and/or
> penalties a team gets reduced to less than five currently eligible skaters.
> What happens?

I cannot add to what has already been stated except to say that I know
of one instance when this happened--to both teams actually.  Around
1970, the referees let a game between RPI and Colgate played in Troy
get out of hand.  After one bench clearing brawl the referees accessed
enough penalties and disqualifications that counting players that had
to sit in the penalty box to serve minors for disqualified players (and
goalies?), NEITHER team could skate the three players plus goalie that
were required.  The referees ended up awarding the game to Colgate
because they were leading at the time, much to the consternation of the
crowd.  The lead was about 5 goals, I think.  I do not know what score
was entered in the record books but I will check it in an RPI press
guide tonight if I remember.

A result of this game was that RPI and Colgate did not play each other
for the next couple of years.

Ralph N. Baer  RPI '68, '70, '74