From:
"Rolf T. Kappe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rolf T. Kappe
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1993 18:50:40 +0000
>My wife, friends and I have had a running debate (for about 2 years) on
>whether the word "suck" should be used.  They think it's fair game, but I
>*try* to avoid it other than it's use in standard arena-wide cheers.
>
>Which brings me to another comment (sorry).  In Ann Arbor, when Michigan
>fails to convert on the power play and the PA announces that the opposition
>is again at full strength, about 3000 people respond, "AND THEY STILL SUCK!"
> But this Saturday, I noticed an alarming trend.  For years, the PA
>announcer would say, "UIC (or whoever we're playing), full strength" which
>would result in the above response.  On Saturday, whenever UIC came out of
>the box the PA announcer said, "Both teams, full strength."  It certainly
>curtailed the cheer.  I wonder if this was mandated by the university
>because it didn't approve of the chant.  Anyone?  One did manage to occur,
>because it was a 4-on-4 and UIC was coming out of the box first.  Since both
>teams wouldn't be at full strength, the PA man was forced to say, "UIC, full
>strength" which brought a resounding response.
>

>  John H
>  U Mich

We were trying to chant "And Illinois Chicago STILL SUCKS!" but it never
really seamed to catch on. Maybe with a little practice we will be ready
for LSSU.  I personally like the chant for when the phone rings in the
press box, myself:

<Phone rings>

"Hey <insert goalie's name here> , it's your Mom, and she says YOU SUCK!"

John, do you know that number, so I could borrow a cellular phone?

Or how about throwing a sieve onto the ice after the opposing goalie lets
in a bad goal?

I honestly do feel bad, though, when someone brings young children
into the student section and they have to listen to the language we use.
Of course, I felt bad for the 12 year old OSU fan that sat next to me at
the UM-OSU football game, too. Not only did he have to put up with our
language, he couldn't see well because we stood the whole game.
That is why they call it the student section.
--------
  Rolf