From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1993 13:00:08 CDT
We're apparently experiencing another LISTSERV outage here (no hockey-l since
about yesterday afternoon :-( ), but I don't think anyone would have posted this
yet:

From Today's (10/28/93) Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Team USA**      3       1       3       - 7
Minnesota       1       4       1       - 6

First Period:  1. USA - Beaufait (Storm, Hendrickson), 1:08.  2. USA - P.
Ferraro (Johnson, Laviolette), 6:44.  3.  USA - Lilley (C Ferraro, Hendrickson),
7:03.  4.  Gophers - Bonin (McHugh, Trebil), 14:10.
Penalties:  M. McAlpine, Gophers (interference), 4:12;  Moran, USA (holding),
14:47;  Roberts, USA (interference), 17:30;  Gophers bench (too many men, served
by McHugh), 19:34.

Second Period:  5. Gophers - Nielsen (Bonin), 3:27, power play.  6.  USA -
Beaufait (Storm, Laviolette), 7:31.  7. Gophers - Woog (Godbout), 10:23.  8.
Gophers - McHugh (unassisted), 16:21.  9. Gophers - Magnusson (Nielsen,
Hillman), 16:49.
Penalties:  Richter, USA (slashing), 2:04;  Hauer, USA (roughing), 4:28;
Hillman***, Gophers (major, high sticking), 4:28;  Johnson, USA (interference),
6:01;  Bianchi, Gophers (slashing), 11:32.

Third Period:  10. USA - Lilley (C. Ferraro, Campbell), 8:58, pp.  11. Gophers -
Bonin (Dustin), 11:06, pp.  12. USA - Marchant (Johnson), 12:37.  13. USA -
Laviolette (Crowley, C. Ferraro), 14:40, pp.
Penalties:  Roberts, USA (slashing), 3:09;  Wasley, Gophers (hooking), 7:15;
P. Ferraro, USA (interference), 10:38;  P. Ferraro, USA (double roughing),
13:07, Wasley, Gophers (holding, double roughing), 13:07;  Hauer, USA
(roughing), 13:07;  Dustin, Gophers (roughing), 13:07;  Crowley, USA
(interference), 16:42.

Opportunities -- Gophers 2 for 8, Team USA 2-6.  Goalies -- Moen, Gophers (22
shots-18 saves), Callinan, Gophers (21-18);  Dunham, Team USA (20-14).
Attendance - 9.027.

** Team USA was actually the home team (at least, they wore the white jerseys
and had the home side of the scoreboard;  I don't know who had last change.)
***Box didn't say if it was John or Jim Hillman.  As I remember, it was John.

And here are some excerpts from John Gilbert's article, also in the Strib:

Team USA tops 'U'
Gophers test Olympic squad

 Team USA got a lesson and the Gophers got some hope Wednesday night -- not a
bad exchange for an exhibition hockey game in which Team USA triumphed 7-6
before 9.027 fans at Target Center.

The Olympians jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first 7:03, then dozed off before
finding themselves behind 5-4 and 6-5.  A big goal by Todd Marchant with 7:23
remaining gave Team USA a 6-6 tie, and Peter Laviolette won it with a power-play
blast from the top of the right circle through a screen of bodies with 5:20
remaining.

It hadn't figured to be that tough of a night for the Olympians, who had beaten
Boston College 9-3 and Boston University 9-0 and then got stung by a 3-3 tie at
Maine.  After beating Team Canada twice since the, the U.S. team figured to be
primed and ready for its last game against a college team.

The Gophers, on the other hand, had lost an exhibition to Michigan Tech before
being swept at Colorado College 7-3 and 4-2 last weekend.

"I was hoping we'd be in the game," said Gophers coach Doug Woog.  "And there
are ways to do that.  Once we started moving our feet a little, we made them
earn what they got.  We played exactly like the Czechs will play, so we gave
them a little taste of international style."

Woog's Czech style keeps one forward back on the forecheck, and judging by the
fact that the Gophers were outshot 40-20, it might have appeared that more than
one was holding back. Especially in the opening minutes, when Team USA scored
three goals and outshot the Gophers 11-1 at the 10-minute mark.

<game summary deleted, skipping to coach Taylor's comments:>

"I hope we learned that we can't allow teams to outwork us," said USA coach Tim
Taylor.  "When things started going well for them, everything went their way.
One of the things this team has to do is learn to deal with adversity -- but we
certainly can't create adversity for ourselves.

"In our tie with Maine, they limited our shots a lot more than Minnesota did.
But Minnesota walled us off at the blue line, and always had three guys back,
or, when they needed them, four guys back."

<and, on Marchant's game-tieing (sp?) goal:>

"Todd Marchant has been one of our biggest surprises,"  said Taylor.  "He's
evolved into a real good two-way forward, and he showed his speed on that rush.
He can score the game-breaking goals, and that's the kind of stuff we've got to
get other guys doing."

Pam Sweeney
Mariucci Arena: Section 15, Row 12, Seat 7  (I actually get to sit down!!!!!!)
Go Gophers!!!
Go USA!!!