From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1993 12:28:07 CDT
Here are the stories on the Gophers' weekend series at Colorado College taken
off the Monday and Tuesday Minnesota Dailys available via gopher.

-Pam

Headline: TIGERS2.STO
Publish Date: 10/25/1993

By David Jackson

<W0I>Staff Reporter

Colorado Springs, Colo. -- Just one day before the opening of his
team's season, Colorado College coach Don Lucia came down with the
flu and missed the team's practice.

Then Lucia's team found the perfect remedy for him -- the Tigers'
first sweep of Minnesota since 1981. After winning 7-3 Friday,
Colorado College took Saturday's game 4-2, and is 2-0 for the first
time since 1977.

The Gophers, who never led in the series, are 0-2 for the first time
since 1973.

``That sweep's really gonna help as the season starts,'' Tiger
forward Jody Jaraczewski said. ``Last year we started out 0-2 and had
a lot of problems.''

Using the short and narrow ice to its advantage, Colorado College set
the tempo with physical play on both nights. ``For whatever reason,
we didn't thump on their defensemen the way they thumped on ours,''
Gopher coach Doug Woog said after Friday's game.

Colorado College was 4 of 7 on the power play Friday, scoring on four
consecutive man-advantages.

``We've got some skilled players, and they did an outstanding job on
the power play,'' Lucia said. ``Our defensemen did a good job being
physical.''

But it was a short-handed goal that broke the Gophers' back.
Jaraczewski took advantage of a misplayed puck by Gopher goalie Jeff
Callinan and, as Callinan and defensemen Dan Trebil collided, wrapped
the puck into the net giving the Tigers a 5-2 lead early in the third
period.

Tiger goalie Ryan Bach made 16 of his 25 saves in the second period,
and helped his team kill off a 1:03 two-man deficit late in the
frame.

Brian Bonin, Joe Dziedzic and Dan Hendrickson scored goals for the
Gophers.

The Tigers used the power play to break out to an early lead Saturday
night as well. Steve Nelson pushed a rebound of Shawn Reid's slapshot
into the vacated left side of the net for the first goal of the game.

The first period was dominated by the goalies. Jeff Moen made 16
saves for the Gophers, Bach 15 for the Tigers.

The Gophers evened the score in the second period when Jed Fiebelkorn
tapped in a rebound of an Eric Means slapshot.

But the Tigers once again scored on the power play, this time on a
cannon-like slapshot by defensemen Kent Fearns. The goal gave
Colorado College a lead it would not relinquish.

Though the Tigers were only 2 of 9 on the power play, Woog said it
was penalties that ruined the Gophers on this night. ``Bad penalties
were probably the difference. When you do that, you lose momentum,
you lose time or you lose a score, and none of it's good.''

A great individual effort by Jay McNeill made the score 3-1. McNeill,
who scored two goals Friday night, picked up the puck at center ice
and skated in from the left side. Though Moen was able to knock the
puck off his stick, McNeill stayed with the play and popped a
wristshot past the Minnesota goalie.

After Means brought the Gophers within a goal, Rob Shypitka scored
the clincher for the Tigers. When the Gopher defense failed to clear
its zone, Jason Christopherson pounced on the puck and sent a
backhander that Shypitka redirected between Moen's pads.

``We started out kind of slow,'' Reid said. ``But we picked it up in
the third period. We have a major advantage having a smaller rink.
We've got to take the body and that's what we did.''

Headline: PUCNOTES.STO
Publish Date: 10/26/1993

By David Jackson

Staff Reporter

.RM138PT/For the second straight year, an injury will sideline one of
the Gophers' leading returning scorers early in the season.

Senior forward Joe Dziedzic, who scored a goal in Friday's opener,
suffered a hairline fracture in his left forearm Saturday when
checked into the boards by Colorado College forward Colin Schmidt.
Though Schmidt checked Dziedzic from behind, he did not receive a
penalty.

Hockey trainer Bob Broxterman said precautionary X-rays revealed the
injury after an initial evaluation did not reveal a fracture.
Broxterman said Dziedzic will wear a splint for two weeks, then will
be re-evaluated.

"The only way you can take any good from it is that another kid gets
a chance," Coach Doug Woog said. "Joe had been playing very well for
us."

Last year, Darby Hendrickson suffered a separated shoulder in the
season's fifth game and missed 11 games.

Good riddance

Barring a playoff matchup between the two teams, the Gophers' series
with Colorado College was their last ever at the Broadmoor World
Arena. The arena, which has hosted Tiger hockey since 1938, will be
torn down after the season.

Some Gophers say they wouldn't mind assisting with the demolition.

"No doubt about it. It's a bad rink," forward Andy Brink said. "You
go from one extreme (in Mariucci Arena) to the other."

Freshman forward Nick Checco added perspective, saying, "I've played
in high school arenas better than that."

But the Tigers used the antique to their advantage, said forward Tony
Bianchi.

"When it's that big a difference, they plan to do certain things.
They turn a negative into a positive," he said.

Bianchi said the Tigers have success on the power play at the
Broadmoor because they often shoot directly off the pass in the small
offensive zone.

This weekend was no exception. Colorado College was 6 of 16 on the
man-advantage, including four straight power-play goals in Friday's
7-3 win.

@subhead =Correction

Monday's story said the Gophers have not been 0-2 since 1973. They
lost their first two regular-season games in 1989 after winning the
U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game, which does not count in the standings.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!