From:
Robert MAYVILLE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert MAYVILLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1993 13:08:59 CST

    Maine is returning no proven scorers or goaltenders.  This usually leads to
a long season.  While I believe Maine might have won the title last year with
just their scoring or just their goaltending, I doubt they would have won
without both.  Finishing fourth in Hockey East is not a condemnation of the
program.  Walsh has proven that he can bring in the talent (as a Badger fan, I
like to think this is in part due to Grant Stanbrook.)

    So, with a big minus and a regular-sized plus, it is unreasonable to expect
Maine to repeat last year's success.  I fully expect they will be back at the
top of the rankings in a year or so.

    On a related topic, I think the preseason predictions for Wisconsin are a li
ttle optimistic.  They have a potentially great goaltender, solid defense and sc
oring depth.  What they lack is team chemistry.  Too many players worry more
about personal glory than winning.  They have the talent to win it all, but they
won't.  They will lose more regular-season games than they should.  They will
get a lower NCAA seed (if any) and they will lose to somebody that plays as a
team.  I know this sounds like I'm predicting last year's performance, but most
of the players are returning from last year.

    I'm not trying to flame my own team.  I'm just facing up to past performance
s by the players.

    None the less, GO BADGERS.

Bob Mayville
UW-MADISON