From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1993 09:01:17 EDT
Well, Margaret's been telling me about these for a few
weeks now, but I finally got around to checking them out
myself the other day.

The local Coca-Cola bottling plant (I presume) has gotten
together with the Maine Black Bears to produce - and market -
another cute little piece of memorabilia.  They're the old-style
*glass* 8 ounce Coke bottles with a couple of added logos.  On
one side they have the standard script Coca-Cola logo (with the
word CLASSIC added in block print below - a 90's update) - and
on the other side (did it used to say COKE here?) it has a blue
and white TEAM MAINE logo with the Maine Black Bear head underneath.
Next to the logo is the inscription

1993 NCAA (R)
DIVISION I
ICE HOCKEY
CHAMPIONS

and finally, up by the neck it says,

University of Maine
    Black Bears

They're actually pretty nice.  Both for those of us who remember when
this was the only way you could buy Coke and those of us following the
Maine Bears - or college hockey in general.  (BTW, there are cheaper
ways to buy Coke - one place was selling these for 89 cents a bottle,
and the big supermarket had them for $4 a six pack.)

Just thought I'd pass it along...have other college hockey teams been
so commemorated.  I've seen cans and cereal boxes for professional
teams, but I don't remember seeing any such for college teams -
does anyone else remember this sort of thing?

How long is it until the season starts?

Best wishes, Charlie