From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1993 23:40:43 EDT
Jeremy writes:
>                THE 1992-93 HOCKEY-L THREE STARS POLL
>
>Just send your picks for the three most important contributors/behind-the-
>scenes people on HOCKEY-L over the past season and send it to me at:

Please allow me to register my opposition to such a poll...my intent (and
Wayne's too, I am sure) was never for this thing to become a popularity
contest.  I fear that by conducting such a poll and releasing the results,
it will be inevitable that many will be overlooked, and it shouldn't be
that way.  My personal opinion is that all of the contributions made by
people here are extremely important, and together they all make up what has
become a successful HOCKEY-L.  I don't think it's fair to draw attention to
some at the risk of slighting others.

BTW, while I have admittedly been honored by some of the flattering
comments made by folks here recently, I do also feel quite reluctant to
accept as much of the credit as I know Wayne does.  If, for example,
HOCKEY-L consisted only of Wayne and myself, it wouldn't be anything at
all.  I specifically avoided mentioning other people in the message I sent
a few days ago because I knew I could not include everyone.  IMO, if you
want to see a list of the people who have helped make HOCKEY-L what it is,
send mail to LISTSERV and fetch the listing of everyone signed up.

I should add that it is nice to receive mail from people who have comments
or questions on the things I post...it shows me that there is interest
and that some of you wade through it all. :-)  But please, do not try to
quantify the contributions made here by producing a top 3 vote - HOCKEY-L
is made successful by the sum of its parts and no less, and I guess I think
it is important that we remember that.

Finally, note that Coach Cavanaugh said that HOCKEY-L was mentioned by some
at the coaches' convention (while waiting to tee off, I suppose :-)) and
that many coaches are aware of it, some are already on it and others are
chomping at the bit to find out more.  That is only true because what we
are doing here collectively has been deemed to be useful and interesting by
people both inside and outside the sport.  I think it is a positive
reflection on everyone here, and I would only encourage people to do
nothing more than: keep up the good work!

(The same goes for those of you on the DivIII list, hockey3, and the newest
addition to the college hockey electronic mailing list family, olympuck -
since both lists grew out of a number of discussions on HOCKEY-L.)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
alternate address days: [log in to unmask]             *HMN*  11/13/93
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)