From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1993 18:53:34 EST
As I eagerly await what the two North Country teams have in store for Harvard
this weekend, I thought I'd take a look back at last Sunday's game at Bright
Hockey Center.

It was a rough game.  Being cross-town rivals the two teams got into a chippy
affair.  That was not helped any by the poor refing.  I agree with those who
like the two ref. system, but in this case, the second ref. did not balance
the first.  The BC coach expressed his dislike at the calls made by this
ECAC ref., "The Badger's favorite", and I agree, the ref. did nothing to help
the game.  His calls, like in the NCAA final last year, leads players to do
worse things.  I think the second ref. works, but you clearly need a strong
second referee.

The only positive event from the poor calls, was Harvard's only interesting
goal of the afternoon.  A nice three way passing play that set Drury up in the
right slot for a power play goal.  BC also scored a lovely goal, which was a
pretty sweeping play ending with Callahan ripping a shot into the high corner
of the goal.  At that point I was looking forward to more from the Eagles.

Steve Martins' returned to the line-up for the first time this year, and
appeared to have much of his zip with him.  He often seems to be the lone
Harvard player really looking to score.  I agree with the the postings I've
read: "Why doesn't sombody beat Harvard?"  Many of the teams I've watched
at Bright this year could have won their games, but they all seem to want
to play Harvard's current game: stop-the-other-guy.  I would love to see
teams come in and let it rip.  I hope it would force Harvard to play more
offense, and turn result in a more lively match.

Anyway, on to the northland-

/
  good shooting
  rhun