From:
George Taber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Taber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1992 10:39:51 EDT
If one reads between the lines of the Winnipeg Jet's section in the most
recent Hockey News, and, go ahead and let your imagination run wild because
Mike Smith IS every bit as "eccentric" as he sounds, you'll get some idea of
how things are run in W'peg.  In fact, the quote that someone on this list
uses for their signoff, to the effect that hockey MUST be the world's greatest
sport to be able to survive what the NHL (and, in fact, the AHL and IHL) do to
screw it up, is absolutely right-on!  The players ARE considered "pieces of
meat" for the most part, as strange as that sounds, and without proper repres-
entation from a good, and caring, agent, a good contract, and a strong Union,
all but the healthy "superstars" don't stand a chance.  Please spare me any
commentary about the owners and their interests in protecting their valuable
assets and investments; I know from where I'm coming.  As an example, just
consider the rationalizing by the NHL having to do with the new "helmet-
optional" rule...    TTFN,  George Taber.