From:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:33:44 -0500
Immediate Release:  Jan. 18, 2001
Contact: Tom Nelson, 320-255-2141

Huskies Hit New Heights with #4 Ranking

St. Cloud, Minn. -- The St. Cloud State University men's hockey team
(17-4-0, 12--4-0 WCHA) has gained its highest nationally ranking since the
Huskies began playing NCAA Division I hockey in 1987-88.

In the latest NCAA Division I polls released by USCHO and the USA
TODAY/American Hockey Magazine, St. Cloud State gained a number four
ranking.  The previous best for the Huskies was hit earlier this season when
they gained a number five ranking.

At present, SCSU sits atop the WCHA with 24 points although that status
might change this weekend since the Huskies will play non-conference Brown
University on Jan. 19-20 at home.  Game time at the National Hockey Center
both nights is 7:05 p.m.

SCSU has also placed itself among the nation's Division I statistical
leaders.  As of Jan. 14, SCSU ranked third in the nation with a 2.05 goals
allowed per game ranking (behind #1 Michigan State at 1.26 gapg).  On
offense, SCSU ranked 11th in the nation with 3.73 gpg.  The Huskies ranked
fourth in scoring margin at 1.68 and second in the nation with a .795
winning percentage.

Individually, senior goalkeeper Scott Meyer (White Bear Lake) ranks fourth
in the nation with a .934 save percentage and sixth in the nation with a
1.95 goals against average.  Meyer's winning percentage of .816 this season
places him fourth in the nation.  Meyer has allowed 38 goals this season
while facing 580 shots in 1,170 minutes of work.  Offensively, junior
forward Mark Hartigan (Fort St. John, B.C.) is 12th in the nation with a
goals per game rate of .71 (15 goals in 21 games).

-Go Huskies-