Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1992 23:27:30 -0500
 What follows is part of an article by Jess Myers for the Minnesota Daily.

 SUPERVISOR SAYS BUETOW'S WRONG

 According to the WCHA's supervisor of officials, Colorado College coach Brad
 Buetow had no legitimate reason to complain about last weekend's officiating
 during the Tiger-Gopher series at Mariucci Arena.

 After berating two local reporters for their supposed lack of objectivity in
 covering Friday's 5-3 Gopher win, Buetow claimed that the officials "decided
 (Saturday's) game, there's no question in my mind." He said that three of
 Minnesota's goals came by way of "bad calls" and that the officiating crew of
 Brian Ricci, Jay Boorman, and K.C. Chermak were "scared of Minnesota."

 <I happen to have both newspaper articles at home, and a tape of Friday's
 game. And I think that the home-town newspapers are not obligated to be
 "objective". I will check them tonight if I have time. If Buetow thinks Ricci
 is bad, what would he say about Ames or Buzzy I wonder? -CW>

 Ron Foyt, a University graduate in his sixth year as supervisor of officials,
 attended both games and was in staunch disagreement with Buetow. "From my
 standpoint, the officials had no effect on the outcome of that game," he said
 Monday from his Roseville home. "The officials aren't assigned by the teams
 any longer, so if (Buetow) thinks that they would be scared of any team he'd
 be wrong."

 < In fact, there were NO penalties called in the last period of Friday's game.
 This is highly unusual. -CW>

 According to Foyt, who has refereed a number of games himself this season, the
 officials have no concerns about which teams are playing. "The sole concern of
 the officials is to call the game accurately and follow league policy," Foyt
 said. "They're not at all concerned about who wins and loses."

 < From my experiences this season, Ricci did a better job at calling a game
 than his supervisor!-CW>

 Buetow's team was given a bench penalty for "abuse of an official" at the
 conclusion of Saturday's first period. According to Buetow, Boorman asked him
 a question and the coach was penalized for answering him.

 Foyt said that the exchange took place in the Mariucci Arena locker room area,
 which is a violation of league rules and merits a penalty. All questions to
 officials must take place at the bench area. "In every other arena in the
 league, the teams and officials enter and exit the ice surface at different
 areas," Foyt said. "Mariucci is different, so there's more possibility for
 exchanges between coaches and officials."

 < The "league rule" prohibiting addressing the officials only on the bench was
 the result of an altercation which took place last season between Buetow and
 an official when they were at Mariucci. So you'd think he'd remember a rule
 that was created because of something HE did.-CW>

 Minnesota's new arena, set for completion in the fall of 1993, will have
 separate entrances.

 SOME GOPHER NOTES:

 Larry Olimb and Jeff Stolp reached plateaus against Colorado College that very
 few Gophers have attained. Olimb, a senior center from Warroad, joined the
 200-point career club and Stolp, a senior goalie from Nashwauk, moved into
 third place on the school's all-time wins list behind John Blue and Hobey
 Baker Award winner Robb Stauber.

 Stolp's Friday night triumph gave him 52 career victories, surpassing current
 Pittsburgh Penguin goalie Frank Pietrangelo's total of 51 set between 1982-86.
 Stolp added a win Saturday and now only trails Blue (64) and Stauber (73).

 Olimb joined only seven other Gophers with 200 career points by notching a
 goal and two assists during the weekend series. He is currently eight assists
 shy of John Mayasich's career record of 154, set between 1951-55.

 According to some who vote for the WCHA most valuable player, the race is
 boiling down to a virtual coin flip between Olimb and Stolp.

 With Minnesota only one victory or one Wisconsin loss away from the WCHA
 title, attention has shifted to where other teams will finish in the league
 race.

 Northern Michigan is currently one point behind Wisconsin in the race for
 second. The Wildcats travel to St Cloud, host Denver and have a week off,
 while Wisconsin travels to CC before hosting North Dakota and St Cloud State.
 The two extra games give the Badgers a big advantage over the Wildcats.

 Minnesota-Duluth and Michigan Tech are fighting for the final home playoff
 spot. The Bulldogs have 28 points, one more than Tech and have two games in
 hand. Tech has Friday and Saturday off, then travels to Alaska-Anchorage and
 finishes the season at Duluth. The Bulldogs also have a weekend off before
 hosting Colorado College.

 The final three potential playoff teams are separated by a total of four
 points. North Dakota is sixth with 25 points, St Cloud State has 23 and
 Colorado College has 21. Because of its easier schedule, CC could move as high
 as sixth while the Huskies and Sioux finish seventh and eighth, repectively.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!