From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:20:10 EDT
>A Little history lesson for you...History of Giving the Finger:
>                               _
>                             /'_/)
>                           ,/_  /
>                          /    /
>                    /'_'/'   '/'__'7,
>                 /'/    /    /    /"  /_\
>                ('(    '    '     _~/'   ')
>                 \                 '     /
>                  '\'   \           _.7'
>                    \              (
>                      \             \
>

> Giving the Finger
>
> Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating >victory
over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all >captured
English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be >impossible to draw
the renowned English longbow and therefore be >incapable of fighting in the
future. This famous weapon was made of >the native English Yew tree, and the
act of drawing the longbow was >known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck
yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major >upset and
began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at >the defeated
French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! PLUCK YEW!" >Since 'pluck yew'
is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant >cluster at the
beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental >fricative 'F', and thus
the words often used in conjunction with the >one-finger-salute are
mistakenly thought to have  something to do with >an intimate encounter. It
is also because of the pheasant feathers on >the arrows used with the
>longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

>And yew thought yew knew everything!

Of course, I would never think of doing it to anyone on the list!

Vicki Price
Concussion Free Zone
violentcontact.net