From:
Duane Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:33:03 PST

>> The MAAC just has to pay some dues for a couple years just like
>> UMass-Amherst and Merrimack have had to since joining Division I.
>
>And after a few more years of not being scheduled by the established
D-I
>programs, we'll hear this same tired old crap again.  Sorry, I'm not
buying
>this argument.
>
>The "big time" conferences have to make their minds up.  If they want
the
>MAAC to prove itself against "legitimate teams", then they have to
start
>scheduling some non-conference games with MAAC teams.  Otherwise, all
of
>their complaining about the MAAC potentially receiving an at-large bid
as a
>"non-legitimate" conference should not be tolerated or listened to.
>
>North Dakota has scheduled a non-conference series next year with D-I
>newcomer Bemidji State.  This is an example other established D-I teams
>should follow.
>
>The bottom line?  The established conferences should put their money
where
>their mouth is or shut the heck up.

I'm not sure that it's necessary to be rude about it, but let's
ignore that last comment.

Other D-I schools *are* starting to schedule some MAAC teams.  I
believe UMass-Lowell is including them in a tournament next year.

But I would argue that, in general, the burden of proof is on the
MAAC to show that it is competitive.  Until they can show a winning
percentage against the Independents, why should anyone feel obligated
to schedule them?

With all these emerging new teams, would the WCHA give up its own
insular schedule -- "putting its money where its mouth is" as you
put it -- so that more nonconference games are available for
scheduling these teams?  No.  WCHA teams would rather face Wisconsin,
Minnesota, North Dakota and all the traditional conference rivalries
because that's what is attractive to the fans.  That's why the
interlocking schedule with Hockey East went away.

The same thing applies for the other conferences.  WCHA fans are the
*last* ones that should be pointing fingers about scheduling for the
greater good, the Bemidji State exception-to-the-rule notwithstanding.

Duane Glass