From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:49:02 -0500
Attendance was 5,866 (8,314 paid)

RIT had perhaps the smallest traveling section of fans I've seen to
date...looked like only 15-20 RIT fans in the visitors section. I think
Huntsville even had close to 50 last year, most teams probably bring 50-75,
Wisconsin brought the most with a couple hundered scattered thru the building.

Someone won a trip for 2 to Vegas by shooting it through the little hole in
the goal inbetween periods. Never thought I'd live to see that happen.

On the skill level...I stand by my comment that UNO should have won this
game. Shots on goal don't tell the whole story. UNO had probably 3 times as
many scoring chances but drew iron, missed high or wide, etc. With the
exception of the first 10 minutes of the second, they carried the play
nearly the entire time. They forced RIT to ice the puck about 15 times in
the third. UNO definatly was more skilled overall, but RIT had the will and
heart, and they won.

On my fighting comment, which I knew some of you wouldn't like:

I'm not saying UNO should get into a fight a game or anything, but they're
struggling, and they don't seem to be playing with a lot of fire anymore. I
personally think one isolated fight after a late hit or a cheap shot or
something could spark them. Maybe it doesn't hafta be a fight, but I don't
think UNO should let someone run around on our home ice wrecking havoc and
not making him pay somehow, and since the refs weren't penalizing him, I
thought UNO should have, be it singling him out for harder than average hits
or drawing matching roughings or whatever. It doesn't help that Coach Kemp's
gotten them scared to do just that because of his no tolerance stance on any
retaliation penalties, so if they're going to get a 1 game suspension from
him for retaliating, maybe they should at least make it worth their while.
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
(Stanley Cup Champion) Detroit Red Wings Fan for Life
Proud resident of Bugaha(Omaha)-Home of the FIRST Jim Rome World Tour Stop.
U!N!0! U!N!O!
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies all the way in 1999.
QOTW: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's
why it's called the present." (Unidentified United Airlines Co-Pilot)