From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:15:49 -0600
>>> Wouldn't it be nice to sit at your PC and be able to listen to any college
>>> hockey game in the country??????

>> It'd be even nicer to be able to watch them.  I wonder whether compression
>> technology will improve to the point where pushing all the video data across
>> the band doesn't slow a normal system to a crawl.

>I'm fairly sure cable modem technology, or something similar, will be readily
>available within 2 years, and ubiquitous not long after that.

>I think there are all sorts of bigger issues which come into play, such as ...

        How about the fact that while nearly every game is on the
radio somewhere, most games (at least outside of the Twin Cities) are
not televised by anyone.  So, bandwidth aside, it'd be a lot of extra
work to pick up a video feed.  And then there's the issue of TV
timeouts.  Would we suddenly find a lot more regular season games
unnaturally interrupted in order to stick ads on the internet
broadcasts?  I would hope that broadcasters would use the technology
to place the ads simultaneously in another window or something.

        I have "watched" cricket live on the net, although with one
frame every few seconds, the pictures served mainly to give a little
atmosphere and keep the score box on the screen.  Unfortunately the
sound was TV commentary and thus the play-by-play was a little sparse.

                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                      <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/joe.html>

Attention ECAC:   Eight is Enough--Flush the Final Five!