From:
"NWLB (E-Ticket)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 16:28:17 -0400
What about some D1 sponsored transitional conference structure?  I mean
lets face it, many teams are only accepted in conferences out of what
seems to me to be a feeling of obligation to stick by D1 programs.  I'm
speaking about the Alaska schools mostly, although that is quickly
changeing.  Not that these schools don't help their respective opponets
out with money and such, but there has been a since of duty attached to
helping those schools out.  Now things are growing so fast as to strain
even the desire of these conference members help programs survive.  I
think things will continue to grow in the years to come.  And perhapse
with all the new teams, most of whom are upgrading faster than the
existing conferences can accomedate them, the whole division needs to do
something to assist these new schools in scheduling and such, until the
existing conferences can figure out what to do?

The only way I see the much talked about Big Ten conference comeing about,
and the only reason that makes since in any way, is simply to make room in
the CCHA and WCHA for all these new and future teams.  The big ten size of
schools have the budgets to fly around and play each other, in turn, the
flurry of new schools could move in to fill gaps in the conferences they
leave.  The only alternatives are for the existing conferences to grow
bigger and into multiple divisions, or for all of D1 one to combine into
one mega conferences and be done with it.

Something has to give.

Nathan